How to create printer profiles with the HP Z3200
This FAQ explains how you should create printer profiles using the built-in Spectrometer.
1. Before you start:
If you don’t use HP proofing paper on the HP Z3200, the first thing you need to do is let the machine do an automatic calibration on the paper. This is an function you can find in the printer menu.
2. Setup the printer:
This type of printer can only be driven trough TCP/IP (network) connection, not by USB.
Once the printer is set up and connected in the network, ProofMaster/PrintFactory will automatically find it.
- Set up a queue (proofing or photo print queue)
- Start up the Calibrator
- Select the spectrometer (HPZ: print and measure, HPZ decopled: only measure)
3. Create profile:
A. Typical mode:
- No linearization (done by the printer driver)
- No ink limit chart (done by the printer driver)
- Direct selection of the color engine
- Generate target (1000 to 1500 patches is sufficient)
- Print patches and read
B. Advanced mode:
- Print and read the linearization
- Print and review the ink limit chart
- Same steps as in typical mode
- When reading the patches in the calibrator, the spectrometer will remember the values in the memory. After measuring, you need to click on the measure button to import the values in the software.
4. Driver setting example
Profile 250g: driver settings Proofing paper / semi gloss / satin Photo Black Premium quality Gloss enhancer : OFF Color Mode : CMYK
Profile 250g: driver settings
Proofing paper / semi gloss / satin
Gloss enhancer : OFF
Color Mode : CMYK
5. Certifying and device links on the HP Z3200
- After creating a profile on the HP Z3200, you can create device links by printing the targets on the printer and measuring them with the build in spectrometer.
- After printing the target, the printer will automatically rewind the media and start reading the patches.
- The software will keep the results in memory. In the Calibrator you will need to click on “measure” to see the results.
- The same way of working goes for printing with a control strip.
- After the print, the printer will revers the media and start reading the control strip.
- By clicking on “certify” on the printed job, the Calibrator will open. The results will be imported when clicking on “measure”.
6. Certify process step by step
- Printing the file
- Finnish printing
- Automatic advancing the media till the control strip is on the level of the ventilators
- Artificial drying (the amount of minutes you preset in the PM calibrator; or none at all)
- Advancing the media more till the measure target is on the level of the spectrometer
- Automatically the measuring will begin
- After measuring the printer screen will jump back on "ready", the measured data is in the printers memory
- If you go to the PM rip, from the moment the strip is measured, the file will drop down to "processed jobs' in the PM rip
- To certify , do a right click on the processed job, and select certify
- Click "measure" , and the data will be imported immediately